Gluten Free Vegetable and Cheese Quiche with Rice Crust
I’ve made lots of combinations, often using leftover (roasted) veggies but frozen/thawed/blanched veggies are also fine – such as 1. broccoli and cheddar, 2. asparagus, black olive, feta, 3. thawed frozen spinach, tomatoes, black olives, feta, 4. tuna, thawed frozen peas, peppers, cheddar or feta, 5. thawed frozen spinach, roasted onions, roasted mushrooms, feta…
- 2 cups cooked rice – I usually use leftover rice, sometimes from ordering Chinese food
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese (can substitute any shredded cheese)
- 5 eggs (or egg beaters)
- 1 cup (low fat) milk
- ¾ cup (low fat) cottage cheese
- 2+- cups blanched or roasted veggies cut into bite sized pieces – such as any combination of broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, asparagus, mushrooms, peppers, onions, black olives or anything you like
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese (can substitute any shredded cheese or feta cheese)
- 4 green onions, sliced (optional)
- 1 pinch nutmeg (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Mix rice, ¼ cup of shredded cheese and 1 egg in bowl. Press rice mixture into and up sides of lightly greased (w/ spray oil) 9” pie plate, about ¼” thick.
- Bake in preheated 450 degrees oven until edges and bottom are just start turning golden brown, about 5-10 mins. Turn down oven to 375 degrees when crust is done.
- Mix remaining eggs, milk, veggies, shredded (or feta) cheese and cottage cheese in bowl. Add nutmeg and season with salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture into pie crust.
- Bake in 375deg oven until golden brown and set in the center, ~45-50mins (tends to take longer if more veggies).